Sunday, March 11, 2012

Bikepacking gear

So I've done a lot of research, it appears that although you might see people rolling around with panniers or bags strapped to every piece of exposed tubing, this gear is very limited to a certain few companies. Well, let me elaborate, there are many pannier companies, many pannier bag companies, there are many small tool bags or fuel bags, but once you start looking for light, voluminous, frameless bags the choices get slim. Some companies like Carousel Design Works, Revelate and a few other small companies have cornered a marker. The bags they make have a following, they've tested their metal by supplying bag sets to people like Matt Lee of Tour Divide fame. The issues I've run into is with delivery time and to be honest pricing. These guys are generally small, in high demand and in the case of Revelate no longer creating custom solutions and are making solid products for Salsa and Fat Back bikes.

So I made the decision to make my own bags and will start posting pictures of some of my creations as I move forward. I will try a few versions for my bikes and a few different purpose bags like fuel, compression and frame bags. The best part is the first set of bags and all the tooling will cost me as much as ordering a custom bag.

More to come!!

Serge

No comments:

Post a Comment